[MlMt] Pasting text results in image - how to fix?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:44:17 EST 2023

On 26 Jan 2023, at 11:18, Giovanni Lanzani wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2023, at 12:23, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 22 Jan 2023, at 0:42, Scott wrote:
>>

>> It'll only happen if the application putting it on the pasteboard added an image as well as text. I don't really know why any app would do that if it's really only text. (MailMate does not have any text to image conversion.)
>>
>> That said, I recall changing something related to Office apps (at least Excel and Word), but I'm not sure it works in other cases. Please try and see if the latest beta behaves differently (r5937). If not, I'll revisit the issue (right now, I've forgotten the details :) ).
>>

> Excel works indeed and you get a nice Markdown table. Pasting from Numbers (= Excel made by Apple) results in an image indeed.

Data copied from Word is structured and not just simple text. Many years ago, before I switched to MailMate, I did a copy-and-paste from Word into an Apple Mail message. To my surprise, it did the right thing with footnotes—it changed, say, a superscript 3 into a [3] in the message, and included the text of the footnote at the end of the pasted insert. Very convenient—but also messy for some programs.