[MlMt] 5933: Dragging files into a folder => files are locked (immutable set)

Thu Jan 26 06:16:22 EST 2023

On 7 Jan 2023, at 13:35, Robert M. Münch wrote:

> I see this effect I think since I use 5933.

The change is in r5927 (November 10th, 2022).

> I do exactly the same as in the past, but now is looks like files are
> somehow locked by MM. Checking the file attributes I see that the
> *Immutable* flag is set.
>
> Is this a known problem? How to fix/workaround it?

I can see this developed into a very large thread. Someone found the
workaround, but I repeat it here to make sure it's more easily found:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate
MmAttachmentsCacheImmutableStateDisabled -bool YES

But it's only to be used by users who understand that attachments are
saved in a *temporary* location which can be deleted at any time. It
just doesn't happen very often.

I can add that the change was motivated by a user working on a document
for weeks (possibly hundreds of hours). The corresponding email was
later deleted and MailMate cleaned up by also removing temporary files
related to the email. Note that the cache is not part of a Time Machine
backup. The file could not be salvaged.

I have some notes on how this behavior could be improved, but the
quick/safest fix was to simply disallow it.