[MlMt] 5933: Dragging files into a folder => files are locked (immutable set)

Gavan Schneider list.mm.gavan at pendari.org
Sun Jan 22 18:15:32 EST 2023

On 23 Jan 2023, at 8:05, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2023, at 9:15, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>
> On 20 Jan 2023, at 9:06, Robert M. Münch wrote:
>
> At least, this super annoying feature should be an option, like: Keep
> read-only flag to reduce my productivity
>
> Well, it is, reading the notes helps:
>
> New: Attachments in the cache are now always saved in a locked state.
> This can be disabled at your own risk:
> MmAttachmentsCacheImmutableStateDisabled
>
> As someone who is regularly asked to assist when an email attachment
> has been modified this default makes so much sense. Knowledgable users
> can modify their settings to suit themselves, everyone else gets the
> benefits of a safe setting.

Thank you for reading the notes a lot better than myself, and now I will
head into the “Hidden Preferences” zone for the first time. Let’s
see… Hmmm
MailMate Help gives an example:

	gavan at Rosebud ~> defaults read com.freron.MailMate MmDefaultBccHeader
	2023-01-23 09:08:54.144 defaults[35710:3326831]
	The domain/default pair of (com.freron.MailMate, MmDefaultBccHeader)
does not exist

Not a good start, and likely to produce many serious problems if
dabbling continues. Recipe anyone?

My need, and I expect this is shared by many, is to give attachments a
useful name before saving to their proper home. The name change is
needed for those companies who think they are so important in my life
that only they would have an attachment called “Statement”, and that
I will only ever need one! Another case is for when an invoice
attachment has been entered in “the books” and saved in the relevant
folder — I preface the file name with the accounts reference number.
Many other use cases are easy enough to imagine. This is not risky
behaviour and no-one needs to be protected from it.

And, while Robert makes the case that users are not always happy when
they have made some changes to attachments, there may be good reasons
why they attempted a change. Basically, in some cases, help will be
needed to repair an error in an otherwise necessary process. Which
likely means, down the track, Robert and others, will be asked to remove
this barrier to normal processes, and, given humans are involved,
occasionally have to help when the user makes a mistake while doing what
they were meant to do.

Anyway the default setting is now in what could be considered “least
change == least harm” which sounds good for what is, as far as I am
concerned, a 😤, and is only getting in the way.

Propose:
======
This setting becomes the first to be alterable via the UI under a new
tab “Advanced” in the “MailMate>Settings…” interface

Or, maybe better:
=============
When an enclosure is opened with the “Quick Look Attachment”
process, and then “Open with Preview” is selected I get a *copy* of
the attachment which is not locked. The original attachment can stay in
place and be there for any salvage operations as needed. And, instead of
the “filename (copy).pdf” name, may I suggest
“filename.3456.pdf”, where 3456 is the number given to the message
.eml file. This is so Spotlight can help me find the relevant email
unless it has already been deleted.

Regards

Gavan Schneider
——
Gavan Schneider, Sodwalls, NSW, Australia
Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a
well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and
wrong.
— H. L. Mencken, 1920