[MlMt] 5933: Dragging files into a folder => files are locked (immutable set)

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Fri Jan 20 03:06:51 EST 2023

On 12 Jan 2023, at 2:52, Glenn Parker wrote:

> I think “it’s a feature, not a bug”, as they say.

Well, then that's an awful non-intuitive feature, reducing productivity and annoying me many times per day.

> I recall seeing a comment about this in release notes, and it made sense.

No, it doesn't.

> The attachment files that MailMate creates in its local cache are read-only. One should *not* be editing those files.

I don't and I don't plan to do that.

> Dragging the file (I didn’t even realize that worked) must be copying the cached file exactly, including the newly restrictive permissions.

Why *must* it be copied that way?

When I drag the file to another location, I clearly say: *I want to work with that file at this place.* I don't need any software that tries to think for me or protect me from doing what I want.

At least, this super annoying feature should be an option, like: *Keep read-only flag to reduce my productivity*

> To get a copy to work on, just click on the handy “download” button right next to the filename instead, which will make an editable copy.

Unfortunately, that *download button* doesn't know where I want to put that file. So it goes to the download folder, and I need to pick it from there, move it around, etc.

That's violating the only relevant KPI in any application: *number of clicks to result*

Benny, please revert this ASAP or make it optional. This has the potential to move away from MM because this is really driving me nuts.

Viele Grüsse. Robert