[MlMt] counter colors

Jolin Warren jolinwarren+mailmate at oakandapple.org
Wed Feb 1 11:30:26 EST 2023

On 24 Jan 2023, at 4:53, John Cooper wrote:
> I also occasionally use a Mac app called "Prefs Editor" to browse and
> edit a .plist file. It's still available at
> http://apps.tempel.org/PrefsEditor/.

Using Prefs Editor is actually the only reliable way to edit plist
contents without using the `defaults` terminal command. Although BBEdit
can open plist files (including binary ones), this is primarily useful
for inspecting them. As described on the Prefs Editor page, MacOS uses a
caching system for plist values that makes editing the plist files
directly unreliable:

> Mac OS X 10.8 introduced a caching system for app preferences
> ("cfprefsd"). While this probably increases performances for apps, it
> makes it harder for developers to manipulate preference values quickly
> for testing, because making changes directly to the plist files in the
> ~/Library/Preferences folder does not work any more with editors such
> as "Property List Editor.app" and the similar editor in Xcode. As of
> now (Dec 14, 2013), the only way to edit such preferences is by using
> the "defaults" command, which is rather difficult to use once it comes
> to editing dict or array entries.

So if you want to play around with adjusting the counter colours, I
highly recommend downloading and using Prefs Editor.

--
=> Jolin