[MlMt] Running MailMate simultaneously in two locations

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Thu Apr 27 17:59:20 EDT 2023

On 26 Apr 2023, at 7:52, Glenn Parker wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2023, at 3:10, Randall Gellens wrote:
>> Having one client execute rules is a well-known way of using IMAP. In
>> the old days when IMAP was first being designed, this was called an
>> active client (the client is always on and actively moving/deleting
>> messages).
>
> Yes, I could designate one computer as the master, but that would mean
> never letting it “sleep” at all. I would rather not do that since
> these two computers may go days (or weeks) without being used for
> anything else. I am usually carefully to manage my instances in such
> circumstances, but I have also set up remote access so that I can
> tunnel in and quit MailMate if/when I forget.
>
> Server-side rules might be an option, but I’m really not motivated
> to set it up on the Comcast/Xfinity platform.
>
>> It won't work to have two active clients, because messages will
>> vanish and appear while a client is trying to operate on them.
>
> IMHO, it’s not the end of the world to have a message disappear
> during a move operation, especially when it’s due to some other
> instance of MailMate that is already performing the intended move
> operation. And while server problems that could cause a message to
> disappear are not impossible, they are *vanishingly* unlikely.
>
> I’m definitely not looking for some kind of out-of-band coordination
> here, just a more forgiving response to certain types of errors. I
> regard quietly taking a folder offline as a rather severe response.
> One simple option would be to back off and wait a minute before
> retrying. A more sophisticated option would be to check if the
> intended message move was already accomplished before complaining.

I can see the benefit of having MailMate react to errors in a
smarter/more nuanced way. You can suggest it, and if Benny agrees he may
add it to his list of features to implement. In the meantime, the
easiest and quickest for you to deploy will be leaving a laptop or even
a VM with MM running 7/24 to be the active client.

--Randall