[MlMt] Running MailMate simultaneously in two locations

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Wed Apr 26 10:52:00 EDT 2023

On 25 Apr 2023, at 3:10, Randall Gellens wrote:
> Having one client execute rules is a well-known way of using IMAP. In
> the old days when IMAP was first being designed, this was called an
> active client (the client is always on and actively moving/deleting
> messages).

Yes, I could designate one computer as the master, but that would mean
never letting it “sleep” at all. I would rather not do that since
these two computers may go days (or weeks) without being used for
anything else. I am usually carefully to manage my instances in such
circumstances, but I have also set up remote access so that I can tunnel
in and quit MailMate if/when I forget.

Server-side rules might be an option, but I’m really not motivated to
set it up on the Comcast/Xfinity platform.

> It won't work to have two active clients, because messages will vanish
> and appear while a client is trying to operate on them.

IMHO, it’s not the end of the world to have a message disappear during
a move operation, especially when it’s due to some other instance of
MailMate that is already performing the intended move operation. And
while server problems that could cause a message to disappear are not
impossible, they are *vanishingly* unlikely.

I’m definitely not looking for some kind of out-of-band coordination
here, just a more forgiving response to certain types of errors. I
regard quietly taking a folder offline as a rather severe response. One
simple option would be to back off and wait a minute before retrying. A
more sophisticated option would be to check if the intended message move
was already accomplished before complaining.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net