[MlMt] good email providers that play well w/ MailMate [was: moving my mail from one server to another—will my IMAP mailboxes & their contents survive the move?]

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Fri Apr 14 07:59:32 EDT 2023

On 14 Apr 2023, at 12:58, Ken Pope wrote:

> Thank you for the detailed, helpful instructions on how to move from
> my current dedicated server to Fastmail while continuing to use
> MailMate.
>
> A very naive question: I’m currently using a domain name
> (ken at kenpope.com) for my MailMate mail.  I want to continue to use
> that name when I move to Fastmail.  If I open an account at Fastmail
> with that domain name, won’t it close/end the account at my current
> dedicated server *before* I can transfer my messages (i.e., I can’t
> have both my current *and* my Fastmail accounts under the same
> ken at kenpope.com, can I?)?

E-mails are really just files on the server, so it's perfectly possible
to move them between ken at kenpope.com and ken at fastmail.com.

You will **always** have a Fastmail user so the migration will normally:

* set up this user account
* migrate the e-mail to this account
* check everything is okay
* migrate the domain and set up the user

In MailMate you can follow this by:

* creating a new account for FastMail as "Ken New"
* checking everything once FastMail has imported the data and your
machine has synched
* migrate the domain
* edit account settings for "Ken" to point to the FastMail server
* edit account settings for "Ken New" to point to the old server, just
in case and rename it "Ken Old"
* close the old account
* once you sure everything is okay, delete "Ken Old"

> But if I open a Fastmail account under a different name (e.g.,
>Ken at Fastmail.com”), how do I then change my account name at
> Fastmail to ken at kenpope.com?

That's really just an alias once everything has been done. FastMail says
it has a migration service but the docs don't seem to be easy to find
but I'd check that first.

Charlie Clark

--
Charlie Clark