[MlMt] good email providers that play well w/ MailMate [was: moving my mail from one server to another—will my IMAP mailboxes & their contents survive the move?]

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Fri Apr 14 04:01:41 EDT 2023

On 13 Apr 2023, at 22:05, Ken Pope wrote:

> What would you recommend as the *easiest* way for someone with little
> computer competence to transfer my current MM store of emails &
> folders into Fastmail so that they will be available should I use the
> web to access my Fastmail account via the web from another computer
> (i.e., not my computer that has MM)?

It depends to some degree on the volume of e-mail you need to move.
First of all, make sure you have a local backup, either via Time Machine
(or Carbon Copy) or a dedicated e-mail archive.

The **easiest** approach is probably just to drag the folders in
MailMate. However, this will involved uploading all the e-mail to the
new server. So, for any significant volume, server-to-server is the
better approach. This should also allow you to keep any existing rules,
etc. for these folders by letting you simply rename servers once the
move has been completed: you can create a copy of the old account just
in case.

> Two or three of the online review services that review different email
> providers had two general concerns about Fastmail (aside from privacy,
> which I’m aware of): (a) service outages, & (b) occasional lag times
> of 3,4, or even up to 7 hours before a response from their
> customer/tech service.  Have any of you Fastmail users experienced
> either of those?

All mail providers have service outages at some point, but e-mail is
configured to be tolerant of these. The important thing is whether
outages are announced or not.

I don't use FastMail myself but have only ever seen positive feedback
from users that do over many years. Personally, I value the kind of
feedback you've had here way above any online reviews.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Sengelsweg 34