[MlMt] good email providers that play well w/ MailMate [was: moving my mail from one server to another—will my IMAP mailboxes & their contents survive the move?]

John Doherty jld at jld3.net
Thu Apr 13 16:46:47 EDT 2023

On Thu 2023-04-13 02:05 PM MDT -0600, <ken at kenpope.com> wrote:

> What would you recommend as the *easiest* way for someone with little
> computer competence to transfer my current MM store of emails &
> folders into Fastmail so that they will be available should I use the
> web to access my Fastmail account via the web from another computer
> (i.e., not my computer that has MM)?

Looking back to the start of this thread, you said your mail currently
resides on a server managed by company X. So you should be able to use
fastmail's IMAP import feature:

<https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/360058753594>

Basically, you tell it where your mail is now, provide the necessary
username and password, and they'll import it all into your new fastmail
account.

They say:

   Imports can take a long time, especially if you have a lot of email.
It's not
   uncommon for imports to take up to 24 hours. You can check the status
of your
   import at any time by going to the Settings → Migration → Import
screen.

In my case, though, it was pretty fast, more like an hour or so. I don't
have a ton of mail, maybe 2 GB or so.

I don't really remember: once I decided on fastmail, I got up on a
Saturday morning, said to myself, OK today's the day, let's do this, and
I was done a couple of hours later. The whole process was so easy and
fast that none of the details left much impression, I guess.

In my case, my mail was on an IMAP server I operated myself. Pretty sure
I proceeded like this:

(1) signed up for the fastmail account and started the import process
(2) when that was done, I configured MailMate to access the new account

MailMate will sync the new account and download all your mail at this
point, which may take a while, depending on how much mail you have.

(3) convinced myself that the new account had all my mail, just by
comparing message counts
(4) everything was fine, so then I deleted the old IMAP account from
MailMate

At that point, all my mail was still on the old IMAP server, and I could
always reconfigure that in MailMate if necessary. But everything was
fine, so then I backed up my old server to a couple of places and shut
it down one last time.

In your case, you might want to keep your old account active while you
convince yourself that all your mail is in the new fastmail account.
Once you've done that, you should be able to cancel the old account,
which I'm sure will cause your old provider to delete your mail.

> Two or three of the online review services that review different email
> providers had two general concerns about Fastmail (aside from privacy,
> which I’m aware of): (a) service outages, & (b) occasional lag times
> of 3,4, or even up to 7 hours before a response from their
> customer/tech service.  Have any of you Fastmail users experienced
> either of those?

Have not had any trouble so far with service outages. I've been using
fastmail only for about two months or so now.

Have not had any reason to contact their support except for some
pre-migration questions, and fwiw, I found them to be very responsive
and helpful.