[MlMt] good email providers that play well w/ MailMate [was: moving my mail from one server to another—will my IMAP mailboxes & their contents survive the move?]

John Cooper mailmate2 at coopercontent.com
Wed Apr 12 14:07:53 EDT 2023

Ken Pope wrote (at 10:55 AM on Wednesday, April 12, 2023):

> Part of Plan B includes finding a good, secure email provider that (a) will accept my domain name, (b) plays well with Mail Mate, (c) will allow me to import my current array of emails, & (d) allows sufficient storage (e.g., StartMail looks great but has an inflexible limit of only 10G storage for all plans).
>
> I’d appreciate your comments about any of the following or any other provider you recommend or warn against.

I've been using Fastmail since 2015, when they seamlessly absorbed Pobox, my provider since 1998. Their Mailstore hosted service provides up to 50 GB. I've never experienced noticeable downtime, their technical support is prompt and helpful, and basically, I've never encountered any significant problems whatsoever.

I have my own domain name, and one of the advantages is that I can instantly generate any custom email address within that domain. I use this to assign every business or nonprofit entity with whom I correspond its own email address, which makes identifying where a spammer got my address a snap. (It's also useful with mailing lists.) I also make extensive use of their server-side filtering functionality, which pre-sorts my email into my various IMAP mailboxes. This is extremely useful when I have to access my email on the Web or on a computer I don't own--that is, when I don't have MailMate. Finally, I've found their user-configurable spam filtering to be more than adequate for my needs; no need for SpamSieve or another additional product.

In case you're still wondering, I recommend them. :)