[MlMt] MailMate misrendering special characters in HTML messages

Pete Resnick resnick at episteme.net
Mon Oct 24 13:17:02 EDT 2022

On 24 Oct 2022, at 11:50, John Cooper wrote:

> John Cooper wrote (at 10:57 PM on Saturday, October 22, 2022):
>
>> I subscribe to a newsletter that often includes proper names from
>> non-English languages. When I use Mailmate to view a recent
>> newsletter, I see the following:
>>
>> ![](https://i.ibb.co/r2q9vHZ/MailMate.png)
>>
>> When I view the raw message, I see this:
>>
>> ![](https://i.ibb.co/Fs1LjMq/HTML.png)
>>
>> And when I view the same message in Apple Mail, I see this -- which
>> is clearly what the writer intended me to see.
>>
>> ![](https://i.ibb.co/bWmgKy0/Mail.png)
>>
>> Is there some setting I can tweak to get MailMate to display these
>> characters as intended?
>
> The message in question contains the following line:

> This seems as if it should be enough to prompt MailMate to display it
> correctly.

Except it's wrong. The original message should say "charset=utf8", not
"charset=iso-8859-1". The original sender's email program got it wrong.
It would be nice if MailMate had the feature that many web browsers
have: A choice in the "View" menu that lets you force the charset to
something other than what the sending email program (mistakenly) said it
was. But this is a bug on the sending end, not MailMate's.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best