[MlMt] MailMate misrendering special characters in HTML messages

John Cooper mailmate2 at coopercontent.com
Mon Oct 24 12:50:24 EDT 2022

John Cooper wrote (at 10:57 PM on Saturday, October 22, 2022):

> I subscribe to a newsletter that often includes proper names from
> non-English languages. When I use Mailmate to view a recent
> newsletter, I see the following:
>
> ![](https://i.ibb.co/r2q9vHZ/MailMate.png)
>
> When I view the raw message, I see this:
>
> ![](https://i.ibb.co/Fs1LjMq/HTML.png)
>
> And when I view the same message in Apple Mail, I see this -- which is
> clearly what the writer intended me to see.
>
> ![](https://i.ibb.co/bWmgKy0/Mail.png)
>
> Is there some setting I can tweak to get MailMate to display these
> characters as intended?

The message in question contains the following line:

This seems as if it should be enough to prompt MailMate to display it
correctly. The MailMate documentation says: "MailMate can handle almost
any kind of character encoding when receiving emails. This includes
numerous workarounds for wrongly encoded emails."

I'll submit this as a bug in the Issue Tracker. I'm using build 5918.