[MlMt] Finer control of blacklist

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Fri Oct 21 12:21:03 EDT 2022

On 20 Oct 2022, at 16:45, Henry Seiden wrote:

> A one-off rule for spam filtering seems doomed to fail getting all
> possible combinations, eventually.

Obviously, such rules tend to be short-term to quiet whatever current
surge is happening. That said, I find it very helpful, along with
server-based rules to, e.g., block hosts that use IP addresses in their
HELO/EHLO.

Mac Eudora had several features that made rule maintenance much easier.
Two in particular: first, looking at a rule showed when it was last
triggered; the list of rules showed a tiny dinosaur next to a rule that
hadn't fired in a long time, making it easy to update or delete rules
that no longer worked. Second, selecting one or more messages and
opening the rules window highlighted the rules that the selected
messages matched. That made it much easier to debug rules. Three more
features that were very helpful: a "starts with" test in the rule
syntax, a "near" test (for words that were near each other), and the
ability to use a regular expression as a test.

> I’m (un)lucky enough to have to filter many forms of junk mail
> including traditional spam, among several accounts. Four out of eight
> accounts have much more spam and much more activity, so I think that
> the more active with good (non spam mail) an account/source us the
> more junk you’ll get.
>
> All-in-all, I filter all my incoming email with SpamSieve which does a
> great job overall. I happen to use a separate email drone set up
> outside of my MailMate app to do it and have been doing so for years.
>
> But good luck to you.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Henry Seiden
> - -
> Techworks Pro Co.
> E: info<at>techworkspro<dot>com
> W: http://techworkspro.com
>
> On 20 Oct 2022, at 19:02, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> On 18 Oct 2022, at 16:23, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
>>
>>> I receive mail from a person that I always want to block. They
>>> always use the name "Steve Wroblewski" but they use a different
>>> email address each time. The options for blocking seem to be "User
>>> Name <email>" or "<email>".
>>>
>>> Is it possible for me to block this person using their name? Or
>>> should I set up a rule for this? I simply want email from them to be
>>> permanently deleted.
>>
>> I have a rule exactly like this in my "Spam (obvious) rule":
>>
>> [From -> Name] [is] [xxx]
>>
>> In my case, the spam has a consistent name and part of the subject,
>> with different from and to addresses, and modifications of the
>> subject, so my rule is a compound rule:
>>
>> [All} of the following are true
>>    [From -> Name] [is] [Mel Gonzales]
>>    [Subject] [Contains] [Electronic Waste Collection]
>>

>> -Randall

--Randall