[MlMt] MailMate, Gmail, & OAUTH2 verification

Sam Birch list.mailmate at munkynet.org
Fri May 20 14:27:57 EDT 2022

On 20 May 2022, at 2:16, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> In that blog post I write: “If the provider stops supporting other authentication schemes (which is almost true for Google) then the provider has the power to decide which email clients are allowed to access Gmail.”

I’d like to remind folks that there are several other top-tier email service providers that have less motivation for user lock-in. They generally charge a few dollars a month, which IMO is a bargain given how much of a hassle maintaining an email server is. And it’s nice to be the customer rather than the product being sold once in a while. My personal favorite is Fastmail. They use app passwords for third party clients rather than OAuth.

Cheers,
-sam