[MlMt] Displaying the midnight hour

Gavan Schneider list.gavan at galeel.com
Mon Jan 3 00:13:53 EST 2022

On 3 Jan 2022, at 15:52, Antonio Leding wrote:

> My research informs me that both 00:00 and 24:00 are, in some
> situations, used interchangeably for the top-of-the-hour at midnight.
> However, that same research shows that the time between midnight and
> 1am are denoted using 00:xx format; consider “Zero Dark Thirty” =
> 30 minutes past midnight or 00:30.  In fact, I was unable to find any
> standardized uses of the 24:xx format for describing times between the
> top-of-midnight & 1am; all of the refs I found used 00:xx.

See below for the standardised use (which is probably not in
‘standard’ use of course — https://xkcd.com/2562 )

> I have discovered that Mailmate displays times between top-of-midnight
> & 1am using the 24:xx format so, with the above in mind, I wanted to
> ask if this is intentional or a bug?

It’s only a bug if Benny didn’t want this to happen, however it is
not correct according to standard:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
	As of ISO 8601-1:2019 midnight may only be referred to as "00:00",
corresponding to the beginning of a calendar day.
	Earlier versions of the standard allowed "24:00" corresponding to the
end of a day, but this is explicitly disallowed by the 2019 revision.

Regards
Gavan

Gavan Schneider
——
Gavan Schneider, Sodwalls, NSW, Australia
Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a
well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and
wrong.
— H. L. Mencken, 1920