[MlMt] migrating from apple mail to mail mate - prospective user

mailmate at elemummel.de mailmate at elemummel.de
Sun Feb 6 19:33:53 EST 2022

> How can I archive mail from IMAP mailboxes to somewhere else free so I don’t exceed my free storage allocation in the mail server?

Either

```
Message > Move to mailbox…
```

and put them into another IMAP account. Or
```
Commands > Export > …
```
to store the Emails on your local storage. Of course that would move them outside of MailMate. You could open the files using MailMate, but they won’t be searched.

You could create a „dummy IMAP account“, with invalid credentials. It will then always be shown as offline, but you could copy mails into it. It’s hacky and isn’t guaranteed to work as intended. Be extra careful with it. For example, don’t *move* mails there, only copy.

The secure way would be to run a real IMAP server on your machine, to which MailMate can connect locally. I haven’t tried myself, but running [Dovecot](https://www.dovecot.org/) in a container should work.

E.