[MlMt] Is there a way to schedule rules running in MailMate?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Apr 29 09:12:11 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-29 at 08:28:29 UTC-0400 (Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:28:29 -0700)
Randall Gellens <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> On 28 Apr 2022, at 20:02, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>> On 2022-04-28 at 18:03:47 UTC-0400 (Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:03:47 -0700)
>> Randall Gellens <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
>> is rumored to have said:
>>
>>> This is what I do for all my archive and auto-delete functions, but
>>> it seems to me that the rules in the smart mailbox don't always fire
>>> until I click on the mailbox to view it, a bit like Schrödinger's
>>> mailbox. I also find this behavior in general, e.g., I see a new
>>> message arrive in my main Inbox that should have been moved by a
>>> rule to a different mailbox, but instead it sits in my Inbox for
>>> hours (maybe longer) but if I click on the mailbox to which it
>>> should have been moved, there it is and it's gone when I switch back
>>> to the Inbox. It seems that, for whatever reason, rules don't always
>>> trigger or at least the effect of them running isn't always visible.
>>> But other times they do seem to run automatically.
>>
>> This is an IMAP artifact. You don't see the message in the new
>> location until you resynch the new location.
>
> You're saying that MailMate doesn't resync a mailbox after it moves a
> message?

It *seems* not to, based on my observations. I have not dug deeply into
this, because it isn't something that has particularly annoyed me.

My assertion is based solely on my non-rigorous experience with this
sort of behavior. Rule-triggered rules seem to result in delayed synch.
It is entirely possible that I've misanalyzed the issue.

> And furthermore, ignores IDLE, which my server supports and which MM
> issues?

I have not noticed the behavior with mailboxes that are in IDLE, but I
likely would not. I use a mix of server-side (procmail) rules that
operate during delivery, and client-side  (MailMate, on 2 Macs) rules
that handle messages after delivery, and I should not (in principle...)
be moving messages in and out of INBOX robotically, which is the only
mailbox I have on IDLE.

> Even if that was the case (which seems very hard to believe), then how
> is that the rules do work as intended at other times?

Benny question. I don't even have a guess as to how he makes the rules
system work as it does. It isn't obvious how the expiry rig I use
manages to work, but it does.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org