[MlMt] Transfer encoding of signed text parts

Sun Nov 21 08:44:44 EST 2021

On 13 Nov 2021, at 17:53, Alan Egerton wrote:

> Just trialling (and *loving*) MailMate at present, but have a small
> niggling irritation when sending (S/MIME) signed messages: the text part
> is then always sent with quoted-printable transfer encoding, whereas the
> same message if unsigned is sent with default/7bit transfer encoding.
>
> Is there any way to change this behaviour so that signed messages
> continue using 7bit transfer encoding (where possible)?

That's a very specific request. This behavior was added a very long time ago and if I remember correctly then it was introduced because some receiving email client(s) would fail to verify the signature without the use of quoted-printable (and/or the lack of a Content-Type header I think). I could add a hidden preference to disable this behavior, but I cannot make it default behavior without some kind of testing with other email clients (which is hard to do easily).