[MlMt] Memory usage

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sun May 23 11:02:44 EDT 2021

On 23 May 2021, at 15:21, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 16 May 2021, at 10:02, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>
>>> [header index files]
>>
>> Couldn’t you let’s say load on start-up only “essential” ones. Like check which smart folders are there and which databases they use and then load only those database files. And on demand you load other files on request into memory.
>
> MailMate does load header files on demand, but after receiving/writing emails most of the big ones will have been loaded.

I know we are going down the path of "specific user scenarios", but how I have implemented my almost 3M messages is that all except 100k is in one IMAP account. I have a specific virtual mailbox that is "except this account" so that searches are only done in the 100k. Except if I do explicit search, or search in "all mailboxes" of course.

All other virtual mailboxes do only search in this first virtual mailbox, so I exclude 2.9M messages all the time. Which makes MailMate really quick!!

I also accept the situation that searches in all messages are slow. But I do get a result when I want to.

The only downside is that the indices for those 2.8M mail in that one IMAP account is also sucked into memory (the first time I touch it, sort of), which is really soon after launch.

At the moment, my MailMate is 6.67GByte of memory, 13 threads and 8584 ports... :-D

And it works!

This is why I use MailMate and am a happy patron!

   Patrik