[MlMt] Memory usage

Niels Kobschätzki niels at kobschaetzki.net
Sun May 16 04:02:14 EDT 2021

On 14 May 2021, at 20:05, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 11 May 2021, at 9:10, Patrik Fältström via mailmate wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at the memory usage of mailmate throughout the years. I have concluded it "uses lots of memory".
>
> Correct :)
>
>> I have four imap accounts where specifically one have lots of messages. In total I have 2.988.939 messages, and MailMate eats 4.34GByte of memory about half an hour after starting.
>
> I'm pretty sure that's close to the record. I usually tell people that MailMate can only handle a few hundred thousand if they ask.
>
>> Any strategies for using less memory? [too many virtual mailboxes]
>
> I might regret this if there turns out to be unintended side effects, but you could possibly delete some of the database index files such as those for the “received” header. Some are more important than others for the internal workings of MailMate while others are only needed if searched explicitly.

Couldn’t you let’s say load on start-up only “essential” ones. Like check which smart folders are there and which databases they use and then load only those database files. And on demand you load other files on request into memory. Or maybe load them only when a folder is accessed that uses them.
Maybe you could built in some anonymized analytics to see which database files are always loaded and after a month (with later tweaks) you should know which would be relevant because 80% of the users use them all the time, so you load these by default and others only on demand. Or isn’t that possible because you need to load them completely into memory to write to them?
Couldn’t you then load them only every “time interval” write the changes and then unload them?
Just some ideas - not a real programmer myself.

Niels