[MlMt] Memory usage

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sat May 15 02:20:27 EDT 2021

On 14 May 2021, at 23:43, Bill Cole wrote:

> I'll jump in here, since Benny said he would be gone for the weekend. As always, only he is a definitive source of info...

Thanks Bill. Yes, I saw that Benny takes the weekend off (which I think is a good thing).

> To the best of my knowledge, that file will only be needed if you try a search (or have a smart mailbox) that uses the Received header(s) of a message.

I might try to see what happens :-)

> The Received headers form an audit trail of the transit of a message from the author to final delivery, with an additional Received header added each time the message is handed off from one server (or process) to another. If you don't do mail forensics on a regular basis, you are likely to never miss its index files. Because virtually all messages except Sent or Drafts will have 2 Received headers, deleting the 3 files that make up the Received index (.cache, .plist, and .offsets) will only delete them temporarily, because any new message will cause the creation of new files for what MM considers a previously unknown header.

Yes, received headers I know about. I thought maybe a missing index file would create troubles.

> Note that the "#quoted" and "#unquoted" files are for tokens in the quoted and unquoted text of messages, with the "#lc" versions being for the lower-cased versions of those tokens. That's why they are huge, and also why you really should not experiment with deleting them to save disk and/or RAM space. Despite Benny's suggestion, I would be extremely averse to removing any of the index files with '#' in them, as those are for logical constructs of MM, not actual headers.

Got it.

I had a look at my virtual mailboxes and all of them exclude the account that have all 2.8M messages, so virtual mailboxes only operate on accounts with a total of 100k messages. But as you wrote, MM is of course having indices over all of them anyway, and keep those indexes in memory.

   Patrik