[MlMt] My sent messages have disappeared - are there any useful logs?

Fri May 14 10:23:34 EDT 2021

On 7 May 2021, at 12:10, Pat Maddox wrote:

> Thankfully, I quickly learned that FastMail has an easy to use recover feature: https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/articles/1500000280381

That's a great feature!

> I am still curious where I can find logs to maybe track down what happened...

Unfortunately MailMate does not have any kind of persistent log of events. The closest is the Activity Viewer logging server communication, but this is only enabled when the window is open. It's not very useful “after the fact”.

>> My only guess as to what happened is that I restored my computer from a backup, and maybe it didn’t have emails cached, and Mailmate did a sync and initiated a mass delete? That sounds farfetched, but the timing is just too coincidental.

I agree on the timing, but not being able to locate emails locally will not trigger MailMate to start deleting server-side. Permanently deleting an email only happens when MailMate itself sets a virtual header in its own database. And only deletion of emails in the trash/junk will trigger this. In all other cases, emails are moved to the trash, that is, essentially 2 deletions are needed.

>> p.s. I’m not blaming MailMate... just trying to figure out what happened, and how to recover the email, and this is one avenue to explore.

I have recently been giving a lot of thought on how MailMate could log important past events. The main motivation would be to make it easier to determine if a bug could be part of when something like the above happens.