[MlMt] Default format=flowed change in 5800?

Pete Resnick resnick at episteme.net
Tue May 11 18:27:52 EDT 2021

On 11 May 2021, at 17:04, MLMT at RHP.TW wrote:

> I looked into _format=flowed_ when Benny made this change to learn
> about it, and [this blog by
> Fastmail](https://fastmail.blog/advanced/format-flowed/) outlines some
> of the major concerns surrounding the standard. Mostly, it seems that
> it's not well (or consistently) supported.

Ugh. That blog is from 2016, and has several errors:

- Thunderbird has it on by default AFAICT.
- Even if others don't support format=flowed, the message looks like a
normal plain text message on the other end. No harm is done by
supporting it.
- The IETF uses plain text mailing lists and never asks for
format=flowed to be disabled. I have no idea what lists would ask for
such a thing or why it would cause any line wrapping problems, except
for sending around code patches inline in the text instead of as an
attachment. Even there, who doesn't hard-wrap code at 72 characters?
(Maybe I'm old.)
- The problem with HTML is not bloat, but the inability to edit replies
reasonably.
- You can use a regular HTML editor to implement; you simply have to be
able to realize that the HTML produced only has quoting and nothing else
and convert that to text/plain format=flowed. I've done that. It's not
rocket science.
- His last point seems to be that he has a hammer (Text::Autoformat) and
therefore anything that is not a nail is a problem. Color me
unimpressed.

I am a big supporter of Benny's using Markdown and plain text as much as
reasonably possible. I don't want that to go away. If more people would
at least interpret format=flowed, the world would be a better place,
IMO.

pr

--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best