[MlMt] Rules sometimes don't move messages

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Mar 23 12:36:09 EDT 2021

On 23 Mar 2021, at 11:13, Randall Gellens wrote:

> I'm running Mailmate version 1.13.2 (5673), which I think is the
> latest release version.  One of my rules adds a tag and moves the
> message to a different IMAP folder.  Lately, I've noticed that it
> unpredictably and randomly but repeatedly fails to perform the move.
> It does apply the tag, so I know it activated.  I don't see any errors
> in the Activity Viewer, but the errors might have been hours ago.  I
> checked /tmp/mailmate_logs, but the only file there is
> mailmate_parser_problems.log which reports some non-compliant message
> content.

I'm also having real problems with rules lately.  I absolutely have not
been able to add rules that work, although most of my old rules seem to
work.  I'd be *very, very* grateful if someone could post a HOWTO about
rule debugging.

My previous approach was to make rules that would set flags, so that I
could interactively tell if they were working, but now I have been
having problems where rules will stop working when I add a conjunct, and
not restore operation when I remove it.

Are there files that we can examine to get a sense of what might be
going wrong? Am I right in thinking that the `Mailboxes.plist` file in
`~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/` is where all the rules are
stored?

Is there some logging we could turn on to see when rules succeed at
matching or fail?

Thanks!