[MlMt] Endless beachball after 5-30 seconds

David Ledger MailMate at ivdcs.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 08:44:28 EST 2021

On 3/4/21 12:36 PM, David Ledger wrote:

> I'm Running MailMate on a 2011 11" MacBook Air under High Sierra
> (highest it can go). 4GB memory. I think v5757.
>
> I've been using it for a few years now without serious problems. A few
> months back, on switching to it with <cmd>Tab it would take a while to
> become the foreground app, as if having to page in lots of stuff, but
> taking maybe 30 seconds to a minute which is ridiculously long for a
> page in but there's not much disk space. Activity Viewer would show it
> as not responding.
>
> At the beginning of this week the disk filled and although I've cleared
> out lots of space MailMate now never becomes responsive. Even overnight.
> As usual, 'nothing I know of has changed' other than the disk space.
> (Operations on another machine added holiday videos to Dropbox which
> then copied onto the Air).
>
> I've rebooted a few times, re-installed the older version currently on
> the website for High Sierra, started it from the command line with
> 'open' and each time it works for somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds (it
> varies) and then becomes unresponsive.
>
> I also have MailMate on a newer (but still old) Mac Mini that I can
> access over VNC, and that works fine, so it's not a problem message on
> the IMAP server. It must be something to do with the files on the Air.
>
> Because I get a lot of emails over four busy accounts and the size of
> the Air screen I actually read my emails on my Dell laptop running
> Ubuntu and using Thunderbird. The MailMate on the Air sits there mainly
> doing filtering and spam marking. (oh for MailMate on Linux :-)).
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? Or will I have to delete the whole
> installation (retaining the filters) and start again?
>
> David

My most obvious difference between my working and non-working MailMates
is that the latter does all of my filtering and has a huge one-line
entry in Mailboxes.plist.

I thought I had seen a link to the Mailboxes.plist documentation on this
list, but I've checked back over more than 12 months and can't find it.
Can someone please give me that link.

I thought that the Mailboxes.plist sections I've seen here contain
embedded newlines so that the format and contents are visibly
parse-able, but that one entry is too complex to work out.

Thanks,
David