[MlMt] Selecting default SMTP server

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Jul 24 23:59:14 EDT 2021

On 2021-07-24 at 23:03:04 UTC-0400 (Sun, 25 Jul 2021 03:03:04 +0000)
Antonio Leding <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> “…not feasible to send mail claiming to be from a particular
> address through any arbitrarily chosen mail server…”
>
> Mostly true but there’s ways around such hindrances…
>
> https://www.wpoven.com/blog/free-smtp-servers-sending-emails/

All of those require you to set up accounts with the providers in
question. For example, you cannot simply decide to route your mail
through Google's mail servers without having a Google account and
configuring it to allow you to send mail using that account with sender
addresses that are not hosted at Google.

So: not quite "arbitrarily chosen."

> I haven’t used any of my “assigned” SMTP servers since 2000.
> And since 2013, been using a combo of Amazon’s SES or my own
> Postfix…the latter is especially nice if one wants to use a
> non-standard port...

Sure, but you are almost surely using mail submission (port 587 or 465,
with mandatory TLS encryption and authentication and DKIM signatures
added with "d=amazonses.com") and you have published a SPF record in DNS
for leding.net which explicitly declares that your mail may legitimately
be coming out of SES.

Back before spam was a problem, it was possible to submit mail without
authentication through nearly all SMTP servers, using whatever envelope
sender and/or From address you felt like using with any server. This has
evolved over time to the current situation where authentication (and
hence server-specific account setup) is almost universally required
along with TLS encryption. Some mail clients (including, at least in the
past, Apple Mail) have configured submission (i.e. SMTP-like) servers
independently of IMAP accounts and allowed users to arbitrarily select
which outbound path to use with each message, regardless of which sender
address is used. That is not generally safe today, but it was once
entirely reasonable.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org