[MlMt] Skull 💀 emoji in the From header

Pete Resnick resnick at episteme.net
Sat Jan 30 16:46:24 EST 2021

This is MailMate helpfully showing you that what you are looking at is
not an email address with an '@' between the two parts, but that the
display name (i.e., where my email address says "Pete Resnick") happens
to have an '@' and might be mistaken for an email address, which might
be used in a scam. The second one is probably unnecessary because
"Cardpointers" doesn't look much like the right hand side of an email
address, but the first one is: Your message came from
alerts at citibank.com, not from bestbuycard at info.accountonline.com.

pr

On 30 Jan 2021, at 15:38, mlmt at rhp.tw wrote:

> Sometimes I will receive an email that have the skull emoji (💀) in
> the **From** header.  At first I thought this might be due to some
> autocorrect/auto-substitution that is enabled on my computer  (like
> turning a smiley emoticon to an emoji), but that does not seem to be
> the case. I also looked at the raw message of the emails  and  didn't
> see anything unusual. Both these messages were downloaded from Gmail
> and when I look there the skull isn't present. How is this happening?
>
> Here is an example message from Citibank/Best Buy
>
> The **From** header is "bestbuycard at info.accountonline.com"
> <<alerts at citibank.com>>
>
> [ "Screenshot.jpg" ]
>
> This one is from CardPointers: "Emmanuel @ CardPointers"
> <ejc_at_getcardpointers_com_uyj8uazgcq_8498eab2 at privaterelay.appleid.com>
>
> [ "Screenshot2.png" ]

Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best