[MlMt] Question about re-installing MM—Do I lose my IMAP mailboxes in MM?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Jan 26 21:44:03 EST 2021

On 26 Jan 2021, at 18:52, Ken Pope wrote:

> Have tried all sorts of way to fix a problem w/ SpamSieve since I
> moved to an M1 13-inch MacBook Pro (checked everything: SpamSieve
> correctly labels spam but spam ends up in inbox & legit mail ends up
> in junk mailbox) and can’t think of anything else to do but
> uninstall both MM & Spamsieve & install new versions of both.
>
> My question is: If I completely uninstall MM, download a clean version
> & reinstall it, do I lose all the IMAP mailboxes I’ve created in MM?

The IMAP mailboxes are on the server; it will neither know nor care
that you've done anything to the client. However…

Smart mailboxes are part of your MailMate configuration. If you wipe
that out—more on that below—you'll lose them.

It strikes me as extremely likely that your problem is configuration,
not
the executables. Deleting and reinstalling the applications won't fix
that.
Wiping out your configuration files would likely do more to fix your
problem, but of course you'd have to recreate a lot. The question is
what the issue might be.

The obvious place to look is any rules—or any rules on any other
devices
you have that talk to that IMAP server. For that matter, in some
situations
there are server-side rules. Generally speaking, having more than one
computer that can touch the same messages is a recipe for trouble.