[MlMt] incorrect From:

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Jan 13 20:09:26 EST 2021

>>   mm changed the displayed in gui From: (from randy at arrcus.com to
>>   randy at psg.com) when i typed the to: randy at psg.com.
>
> As Jolin Warren explained upthread, MailMate can be configured
> either to use a single explicit account as the default origin of
> every new message, or to derive the origin “from context”.
> The “from context” heuristic seems either to be buggy or to use
> a bad strategy.

saw jolin's response and it was spot on.

> On 25 Aug 2017, I reported this problem to mm-feedback at freron.com,
> under the subject
> “Heuristic for choosing 'From' address gives unexpected/perverse results”.
>
> Some three weeks later, I no longer had resources for following up
> on successive helpful replies from Benny.  I decided that it would
> be a smaller nuisance for me to pay very strict attention to the From:
> address for every future message.
>
> This approach works, except when I don’t pay attention. 8-)

sigh.  i will make this error time and again

> In particular, once a message has been sent to a particular
> destination address, the From: address used for that message
> seems to become bound forever as the preferred From: address
> for selection by the heuristic for future new messages directed
> to the same destination, without regard to subsequent explicit
> choices of From: address.

sigh.  i write to the same people from work (and that is two ids with
two separate accounts) and from my personal identity.

what i need is an identity and from: address per imap account.  my
emacs/wanderlust mua does that.

;; futzing with the header
(setq wl-draft-config-matchone t) ;; only match first
(setq wl-draft-config-alist
      '(((string-match ".*@ran" wl-draft-parent-folder)
         ("From" . "Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>"))
        ((string-match ".*@iij" wl-draft-parent-folder)