[MlMt] Dealing with MailMate disk usage

Raza Rizvi raz at raz.org
Wed Feb 24 14:54:35 EST 2021

On 24 Feb 2021, at 19:39, Raza Rizvi wrote:

>>> Support/MailMate folder, recreate the original alias, no problems
>>> and MailMate starts up.
>>
>> I believe that you need to make that change within MailMate rather
>> than try to construct the linkage yourself. See
>> Preferences->General->Messages Folder.
>
> Now that is an interesting reply.
>
> Perhaps selecting a custom location using this preference will allow
> me to shift the folders to a different volume - I will give it a try
> and report back.

It creates an empty com.freron.MailMate folder within the selected
folder on the other disk, but does nothing with it - as in no warning
about copying messages from the current location to the new location, or
indeed any copying even in the background.

This means that perhaps your other suggestion is the correct one, that I
created an OSX alias rather than a symlink (I did keep the original
Messages file as a renamed file just in case). So I will probably do one
of the offline suggestions I got, or dive right in with another copy of
the entire mail store and create a symlink (I remember enough Ultrix,
SunOS, and Solaris but thanks for the command anyway!).

I have also bitten the expensive bullet and gone ahead and bought a 2TB
SSD for this Mac Pro (I can clone and then boot from the new one etc
etc) but I’ll work on your solution in the interim so the benefit of
others who might experience this.

Raza