[MlMt] Rules not firing - even when manually executed

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Feb 16 11:30:08 EST 2021

On 16 Feb 2021, at 8:14, Robert Wall wrote:

>> However, if I change it to ...
>>
>> 1. edit rules for mailbox 'foo'
>> 2. switch to some other mailbox (doesn't matter which one)
>> 3. switch back to mailbox 'foo'
>> 4. run rules manually
>>
>> ... then the rules work as expected.
>
> I just tried this, and no joy unfortunately. I even quit and
> re-launched.

I have been having the exact same problem.  Interestingly, the use of
rules in defining smart mailboxes seems to be fine, and at least some of
my old rules are working. I just cannot seem to get a new rule to work.

I have seen anomalies in development of rules, too -- I was trying to
build them using tagging as the action (so I could easily see the effect
of a rule), I would add and then delete conjuncts to a rule and this
change was not idempotent: the rules would stop working with the new
conjunct, but would not start working again when I deleted it.

I have a vague memory of Benny saying there was some way to debug the
rules (by enabling some kind of MM logging to the screen), but I have
forgotten how to do it. 😢 I think I had to toggle some preference and
then start MailMate from the command line...