[MlMt] 2nd IT&IP Service Notice: Campus Email Protocols IMAP/SMTP/POP Disabled - 2/1

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Fri Feb 5 08:32:44 EST 2021

On 4 Feb 2021, at 16:25, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> What the message from OP’s university says is that they are
> disabling IMAP and SMTP protocols on their Office 365 service. That is
> an optional access to Office 365, which itself has always been
> proprietary, Charlie. If there is enough people at the university that
> do not have mail clients that work natively with Office 365, there
> might be enough complaints that the service is restored. This is up
> local politics.

I understand that and I guess that it shouldn't surprise me that even
public universities can be co-opted like this. But that doesn't change
my opinion that this increases the institution's dependency not only on
the service but now on a proprietary protocol, while not providing
additional security. We've seen this all before…

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Kronenstr. 27a