[MlMt] MailMate needs to be updated warning

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Aug 20 21:17:04 EDT 2021

On 2021-08-20 at 10:38:14 UTC-0400 (Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:38:14 +0000)
Randy H. Tjahjono <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I'm running the Monterey beta, and when launching MailMate I will
> occasionally get this warning
>
> ![](cid:0B6760AF-8EB7-4FAA-A1AF-E4D1332D3AEB at rhp.tw "MM
> Warning-GIF.gif")
>
> Clicking on the *Learn More* link takes me to
> https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/
>
> I'm not sure if this is an issue with Monterey, MailMate, Python, all
> three, or no issue at all.

All 3.

MM includes a couple of Python scripts (emate and html2text) that are
written in Python and specify Python 2.7.

Python 2 is an obsolete version of the Python language. The effort to
get everyone using Python to convert to Python 3 was a 14-year project
that did not go well. There have been no improvements, security patches,
or bug tracking for Python 2.7 since 2019. There are still a lot of
Python 2 scripts embedded in other programs like MM and in production as
freestanding software like the GNU Mailman v2 instance running this
mailing list. In the cases where 2->3 conversion is not trivial, it has
often led developers to completely rewrite programs (e.g Mailman v3)
from scratch.

Operating systems have finally started to remove Python 2.x packages
from their official distributions and Apple is one of the last to do so.
They are apparently including a mechanism for warning users in the
Monterey beta, which is a good thing.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org