[MlMt] Keybindings for non-US keyboards

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Wed Sep 30 16:07:26 EDT 2020

On 30 Sep 2020, at 17:39, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> He meant that to produce the left square bracket on the German
> keyboard, he needs to press alt-5 (option-5 if you will). So how do
> you produce a shortcut that itself requests the alt key to be hold.
> Will the alt key be recognized doubly, once to produce the bracket and
> then to produce the shortcut? I gather he has to remap these shortcuts
> to completely other keys.

Yes, that's it. Sorry for expressing myself poorly. I am, of course,
used to []{} even if I can't see them on the keyboard. But __quis
composit compositor__: how can use one to compose a command if itself
must be composed? But basically I'd like other (standard) combinations
that don't require composed keys. I think indent/dedent maybe standard
because I think my IDE does this: TextMate uses

Regarding names: I'm fed up of Apple changing the names and designs (I
want my Apple key back!!!) for the keys but on this Apple keyboard
(around 2016 notebook style) the option key definitely says "alt". Maybe
it would be just possible to show the combination differently? I think I
"learned" that TextMate used cmd + alt + 5/6 without ever thinking about
[].

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark