[MlMt] OT: iOS mail client

Charlie Garrison charlie-lists at garrison.com.au
Mon Sep 7 00:27:34 EDT 2020

On 7 Sep 2020, at 10:28, Antonio Leding wrote:

> As far as Readdle being able to access someone’s mailbox — this
> fear is somewhat unfounded. As soon any user configures their email
> account in an email client, the app maker now has access to user
> credentials and could, if they desire, access that email account at
> will.

As someone else mentioned; this is straying way off topic. So in an
effort to wrap this up...

My initial comment was effectively "be informed" - I still stand by that
comment. And I never said Spark is bad or not to use it.

> The only difference here is that Readdle is informing the users in a
> advance if what they are doing…

I don't agree that is the only difference. I trust Benny (& other devs)
to do the right thing. That means that MailMate never stores my email
creds itself, and instead uses OS keychain, and I trust that MailMate is
certainly not smuggling my creds to store on remote servers.

That doesn't make MailMate right and Readdle wrong - but it does make
them different. And I made an assumption that users of MailMate are more
discerning than the average email user, so I shared my experiences, so
others here can be informed. I trust I've achieved that now, and if I
haven't then I doubt I can clarify it any further.

-cng

--

     Charlie Garrison                   <charlie at garrison.com.au>
     Garrison Computer Services      <http://www.garrison.com.au>