[MlMt] OT: iOS mail client

Charlie Garrison charlie-lists at garrison.com.au
Sat Sep 5 06:47:25 EDT 2020

On 5 Sep 2020, at 0:36, Robert Goldman wrote:

> That sounds right from what I see here:
> https://sparkmailapp.com/blog/privacy-explained

Yep, that's the one. They have certainly put some marketing spin in
there:

> Spark needs to check and send emails from your email account.
> Otherwise, you won’t be able to read or compose emails in the app.
> This is how every email client works.

Personally, I read that as a flat-out lie. Pretty much every email
client works just fine without sending your email password to store on
remote servers somewhere else.

> Spark requires the server-side processing to send you push
> notifications, so you don’t miss important emails. This is how the
> Apple Push Notification service works.

That one isn't a lie, but very misleading. The IDLE command (or whatever
it's called) works a treat within IMAP itself, so I get timely
notifications for email (without needing Apple's push notification
service).

Having re-read their privacy policy, I stand by my comments earlier.
Just be aware that Spark is keeping your password and processing email
on their __servers__, not just on your phone. If you are OK with that,
then go for it; Spark has a good UI.

This is now way off-topic for this list. But I still feel the pain where
I got burnt and have scars from dealing with Spark, and I feel I have to
warn others who obviously have good taste since they have chosen
MailMate. :-)

-cng

--

     Charlie Garrison                   <charlie at garrison.com.au>