[MlMt] Getting started with MailMate

Martin S Taylor mailmate at martinstaylor.com
Tue Nov 24 03:58:43 EST 2020

On 24 Nov 2020, at 3:24, Andrew Buc wrote:

>> On Nov 23, 2020, at 12:19 AM, Martin S Taylor
>> <mailmate at martinstaylor.com> wrote:
>>
>> 	• How much disk space does your current email library take up?
>
> Good question—how do I find out? As I said earlier, I want to bring
> only a subset of my legacy emails into MailMate. I tried selecting
> various mailboxes in Apple Mail and hitting cmd-I, but that didn’t
> get me mailbox sizes.

In your Home Folder, look in Library>Mail and see how big that folder
is.

>> 	• How much disk space do you have free?
>
> 190GB.

That should be enough.

>> 	• How fast is your internet connection?
>
> Pretty slow: 1.5MB down. Looking into going with an ISP that will be
> faster, but for now, that’s where it’s at.

Assuming you mean 1.5Mb/s (ie. Megabits per second) that's terrible. I'm
surprised arranging your email is a higher priority that getting a
faster internet connection, but only you know how you organise your
life! Where do you live?

> I assume that when I first copy mail from my Apple Mail POP3 account
> to FastMail IMAP, it’ll take a while. Might be a good time to take a
> walk.

At 1.5Mb/s it might be a very long walk, depending on how much mail you
have.

>> 	• Are you happy to pay FastMail $54 a year to maintain a big email
>> server?
>
> For now, yes.

Okay, that helps.

The first stage is to set Apple Mail so that it can see your FastMail
IMAP account. If you feel confident doing this, then by all means go
ahead. There's a guide at

https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/mac.html

but I found it confusing.

I haven't got time to help you at the moment, but I'll hold your hand
through the process in a week or so if you need help. It's best not to
do this on the forum, so email me directly at mailmate at martinstaylor
dot com

MST