[MlMt] Getting started with MailMate

Andrew Buc abuc at andrewbuc.com
Mon Nov 23 22:24:04 EST 2020

> On Nov 23, 2020, at 12:19 AM, Martin S Taylor <mailmate at martinstaylor.com> wrote:
>

> 	• How much disk space does your current email library take up?

Good question—how do I find out? As I said earlier, I want to bring only a subset of my legacy emails into MailMate. I tried selecting various mailboxes in Apple Mail and hitting cmd-I, but that didn’t get me mailbox sizes.

> 	• How much disk space do you have free?

190GB.

> 	• How fast is your internet connection?

Pretty slow: 1.5MB down. Looking into going with an ISP that will be faster, but for now, that’s where it’s at. I assume that when I first copy mail from my Apple Mail POP3 account to FastMail IMAP, it’ll take a while. Might be a good time to take a walk.

> 	• Are you happy to pay FastMail $54 a year to maintain a big email server?

For now, yes.

> 	• Would you understand how to set up your own IMAP server? (The default answer to this is 'No’.)

Not in the least, and I question whether I’d want to do it even if I could.

Thank you.