[MlMt] Getting started with MailMate

Martin S Taylor mailmate at martinstaylor.com
Sun Nov 22 14:05:55 EST 2020

Andrew:

You're taking exactly the route I took about a month ago. MailMate has
some quirks that take a bit of getting used to, but I certainly prefer
it to Apple Mail, and used in conjunction with FastMail it works well.
And ditching POP3 is an excellent plan!

The snag you're likely to hit is that MailMate doesn't support mailboxes
held 'On My Mac' as Apple Mail names it. It can only access mailboxes
held on an IMAP server such as FastMail. The FastMail server will have a
fair amount of space set aside for you: the exact amount depends on
which scheme you pay for. However, if you have masses of old mail
archived 'On My Mac', you should check that there's room on the FastMail
server.

When you've ascertained that, you'll have to transfer all your Apple
Mail folders which are stored 'On My Mac' onto the IMAP server at
FastMail. You can do this by setting up Apple Mail so that it can access
the IMAP server at FastMail, and then just dragging the folders from 'On
My Mac' to FastMail.

When you've done this, you'll be able to see them using MailMate.

Does that make sense? It's hard to judge your level of expertise from
one posting, so shoot back with any questions.

Martin