[MlMt] Getting started with MailMate

Andrew Buc abuc at andrewbuc.com
Sun Nov 22 13:42:05 EST 2020

Although MailMate doesn’t work with my current POP3 mailbox, I bought a license a few years ago to support development of MailMate. Now I’m close to being ready to start using it, and I’m asking for pointers. I’ve never used an IMAP mail client before. I’m currently using Apple Mail.

A bit of back story: I have my own domain, as you might guess from my address. I have the domain registrar forward all incoming mail to the POP3 mailbox (at my ISP) and to a webmail account I have at fastmail.fm. The webmail account is IMAP, but I’ve been accessing it only through a web browser. The plan is to access the webmail account with MailMate and have it become my primary email. Once this is accomplished, I’ll have my domain registrar forward emails only to the webmail address. I have a comprehensive set of folders (and rules to put mail in them) in Apple Mail. I have only the minimum folders in the webmail account—inbox, sent, trash, drafts, archive. I assume that as I get to work duplicating my current Apple Mail folder structure in MailMate, the corresponding folders will be created in the webmail account.

As a starting point, I want to import certain mailboxes from Apple Mail into MailMate, but not all of them. I plan to leave my legacy Apple Mail database in place. I could theoretically import my entire Apple Mail database into MailMate and then delete the mailboxes I don’t want, but is that the best approach?

I’ll probably have more questions as I move along with this. Thank you.