[MlMt] Adding rule based on spam headers

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Nov 11 16:06:01 EST 2020

On 11 Nov 2020, at 9:45, Charlie Clark wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> much as I like MailMate, I find its support for spam detection
> sub-par. I understand that there is a preference for SpamSieve but
> many mail servers already have spam filters like Spam Assassin, so why
> not make more us of them? Even Apple Mail does a good job with them.
> As a result, I'm currently running Apple Mail on accounts where I'm
> seeing a lot of spam and let it the filtering. I checked the rules
> that are used and they don't look bad:
>
> * sender in contacts

I don't believe that is possible.

> * sender in exisiting recipients

<From><is in><Sent Messages><Recipient>"

> * to contains full name

I haven't tried it, but I would expect this to work:

<To><contains><Charlie Clark >

> * trust spam headers

<X-Spam-Status><contains><Yes,>

> Has anyone figured out conditions for rules like this?

See above.

> I've got headers like this:

> 	URIBL_ABUSE_SURBL,URIBL_BLOCKED autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
> 	version=3.4.2

<Putting on "Apache SpamAssassin Project Committer" hat>

Job 0: get your mail provider to fix that URIBL_BLOCKED problem. It
indicates that they are trying to use a free-for-most DNS-based URI
blocking list (uribl.com) in a way that makes them seem like a large
commercial email provider, for whom usage is NOT free. It may be as
simple as a DNS config change on the machine running SA, if they are
currently using a shared forwarder and don't actually have large volume.

MM SHOULD parse that X-Spam-Status and put it in the "Spam Score"
pseudo-header for display and in X-Spam-Status->Score for conditions.
Unfortunately, it does not recognize the value as a number for
conditions, so you don't get 'greater than' and 'less than' operators.

> Where I'd like to be able to set the threshold a bit lower but I can't
> think of an easy way of doing this at the moment with the score not
> being available as a separate header.
>
> What are you all doing?

Filtering on the server side and seeing so little spam that it's not
worth dealing with in MM. (Yes, I know that's not a broadly useful
strategy.)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org