[MlMt] Ideas to reduce the footprint of MailMate

Guillaume Barrette guitest02 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 14:46:01 EDT 2020

Dear Tracy,

  Thanks for your reply, this is greatly appreciated!

Yes, I understand around 200,000 emails may be quite a lot and no I
don't need all of them instantly and yes I was thinking of doing
something to reduce that (backup + moving emails to submailboxes that
would be unsubscribed). However, I saw some other mentions of people
having 200,000 or 250,000 or even 500,000 emails in MailMate, so I was
wondering if my count was that high before making the move.

On my side, I don't find MailMate really slow with that amount of
emails, it's really regarding the bandwidth + disk space + RAM. I know
the disk space + RAM would shrink by having fewer emails, but was
wondering if the bandwidth would be the same since the only emails that
are touched are the recent ones, so does removing the old ones will
really reduce the bandwidth or it is simply how it works and if so I'll
need to find a way around (maybe raising the delay for the
Synchronization Schedule of most mailboxes will help or creating a
script to toggle the Online/Offline state of the mailboxes could
help...)

With other email clients I wasn't synchronizing all those years for all
my email accounts since there was a feature to only synchronize X
months, but I like MailMate and I'm sure I'll find a way to put things
in a shape that I like, but I was wondering regarding the different
options that I could approach those points before making a big move.

With that said, thanks for giving an insight on your workflow and
mentioning MailSteward and Horcrux (I didn't know this last one), I may
go for one of them.

Thanks for your help,

--
Guillaume