[MlMt] Ideas to reduce the footprint of MailMate

Guillaume Barrette guitest02 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 10:45:51 EDT 2020

Dear MailMate Users,

    First, I want to say that I really like MailMate with its
customization and search possibilities, this is not a rant, but just
that I would like to tune it to reduce its footprint if possible.

In short I find it a little heavy regarding its usage of resources. To
give some statistics:

My mailboxes consist of:

- 195,766 messages collected from 5 mailboxes (3 from Gmail + 2 other
from my web host which have pretty much no message in them)
- I'm getting around 80 emails per day

What I would like to improve:

1. By investigating MailMate's downloads from the Activity Monitor
Network tab, I see that MailMate is downloading around 2gb of data per
days
2. My "Messages.noindex" directory takes around 20gb of space on my
drive
3. MailMate takes around 1gb of memory while running

So, I think my best way to reduce most of it would be to move a lot of
my emails to a new submailbox that I will unsubscribe from MailMate. So
my question, is this the only solution? I know there's no way to set
MailMate to only download emails from the "last 6 months" or something
like that, but is there other solutions than to move everything out?

Regarding my MailMate download statistic, my Internet plan consists of
150gb per month, so almost half of it goes to MailMate (2gb x 30 days =
60gb / 150gb), is this normal our could it be a bug? I don't think my
previous email application was using that much bandwidth... I have
difficulty to see how MailMate can use that much bandwidth since by
looking at a big day (105 mails) it's around 6.8 mb of storage space.
Is MailMate batch re-downloading many emails every day ? To mention, all
my accounts have their "Synchronization Schedule" set to "Every 10
minutes".

I have multiple Smart Mailboxes, with some submailboxes populated using
the "Submailbox for each unique value of", could this add to the
bandwidth and does reducing the amount will greatly help in reducing the
memory used or the memory is more proportional to the number of emails?

Thanks anyone for any cues and help!

All the best,

--
Guillaume