[MlMt] Benny still around ?

Mon Mar 9 04:28:13 EDT 2020

On 9 Mar 2020, at 3:25, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2020-03-09 02:48:58 (+0800), Alexandre Takacs wrote:
>> Maybe I have missed some announcement but is Benny still hanging
>> around here ?

Yes, but I'm not spending much time on emails. That's most certainly
**not** a good thing by itself, but I do spend my time working on
MailMate code instead. I've mentioned a few times that I'm working on a
new message view and this has kind of spread out to other parts of
MailMate. The composer window is now also, more or less, going to be
re-implemented. It'll look a lot like before, but the re-implementation
means that I can fix a lot of long-standing bugs and add some features
which were previously very hard to do. Most recently, I've been working
on adding better handling of attachments which will make, e.g.,
drag/drop/copy/cut/paste work much better than before.

Unfortunately, what most users see now is only what I accidentally break
in the old code such as printing and the preview (in the latest test
release, but I'll look into it).

> If you've been on the list for a while, you'll have noticed that Benny
> emails in waves.  One of these days there'll be a hundred messages.

Hopefully I'll get around to doing that again, but for now I'm focused
on getting the new message and composer views into a state where I can
ask some of you to try it out. The good news is that I'm using it myself
now, but some key features are still missing. Most notable major missing
features are image blocking, embedding HTML when replying/forwarding,
and all user feedback related to OpenPGP and S/MIME.

>> I'd hate to give up on MailMate...

I'm still here and I'm looking forward to releasing more updates of
MailMate which can hopefully lead to something that I'm comfortable
labelling 2.0. That is my main goal even though it's just a number.
(Eventually, I do need to make more money on MailMate either through
license key sales or by gaining more patrons.)

And a special **thank you** to the people who answer MailMate users on
this list when I'm not around!!