[MlMt] Modifying Reply Date Format

Charlie Garrison charlie-lists at garrison.com.au
Wed Jun 10 20:30:00 EDT 2020

On 11 Jun 2020, at 10:09, Pete Resnick wrote:

> Charlie: First, do note that this is for the intro line in the
> message, not the Date: header field, which would be used for the
> important stuff. The Date: field is formatted unambiguously as part of
> the protocol. For the intro bit, it's already ambiguous in that it
> doesn't include the time zone, so no need to get too fussy about that
> part.

As someone who grew up using US dates, and then switched 30 years ago, I
know both sides. And it's the human reading the intro line I was
referring to; humans are easily confused by nature. I know to accept
both formats, and I can still get it wrong.

> Also, totally numeric is OK if you follow RFC 3339, which has a nice
> format of yyyy-mm-dd. Even though you could switch month and day, even
> us stupid Americans don't usually do that when the year comes first;
> it's so unusual to have the year first, that we generally figure out
> that the month comes next. ;-)

Sure, the iso8601 standard is fine. But I made an assumption :-O that
"uncouth Americans" would not use that format. If using iso8601, then
all numbers is just fine and dandy.

-cng

--

     Charlie Garrison                   <charlie at garrison.com.au>