[MlMt] "Junk" folder conditions

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Jul 15 18:15:41 EDT 2020

On 15 Jul 2020, at 13:10, Dave C wrote:

> The Junk folder keeps getting valid messages from several of my
> mailing lists that should be only in those groups’ Smart folders.
> I’m tired of selecting these and choosing “Remove from Junk” and
>
> If I set a few Conditions for the Junk folder to “Subject does not
> contain [group’s identifying text]”, that succeeds in keeping
> these out of the Junk folder.

If you're setting that in MM on a "Junk" folder in a GMail account, I'm
pretty sure that all you're doing is hiding them from your view via MM.
Have you checked what it looks like via webmail?

> By excluding these from the Junk folder, does this change their status
> to “not junk” and treated as such? Or have I just eliminated them
> showing up in that folder?

If this is a GMail account (as implied by your email address...) the
presence in the "Junk" folder (usually named "Spam" on the server, but
included in MM's "Junk" unified mailbox) is actually controlled by the
"$Junk" and "$NotJunk" IMAP tags/keywords. To move a message out of
"Junk" on a GMail account AND make sure that it is seen by GMail as not
junk (to feed back into their filtering) you need to create a rule in MM
matching the non-junk mail with actions that remove the $Junk tag and
add the $NotJunk tag.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org