[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Jo rocklily at comcast.net
Thu Jan 30 18:45:56 EST 2020

On 28 Jan 2020, at 7:53, Glenn Parker wrote:

> First, a little nomenclature for the new user. What MailMate calls the
> “Account” or “Source” is what I normally call a “mailbox”,
> that is to say the folder hierarchically and messages accessed via a
> particular account on an IMAP server. To me, that whole thing is the
> mailbox. What MailMate calls a “IMAP Mailbox” is what I would
> normally call a “folder”. The core standard for IMAP, [RFC
> 3501](<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501>), uses this terminology
> for mailboxes and folders, as does every other IMAP client I have
> used.

OK, bear with me here… (I’ve actually closed my eyes to this whole
thing for a couple days to see if a clearer head will help) I’m
looking under Sources. The assorted email accounts that I have are
listed, with little globe icons. When I expand those, there are little
folder icons (draft, inbox, junk, sent, trash…if it’s a gmail
account, drafts becomes [gmail] with its own set up subfolders (folder
icons - the blue things).

> You can then add rules to your INBOX folder that will automatically
> (or manually) move incoming messages to your new Mailbox as they
> arrive. You can add lots of rules for specific email senders, or for
> email from a particular domain, or many other criteria. You can even
> make a rule that recognizes email addresses found in an existing
> Mailbox.

So what you’re saying is all of these little things that look like
folders to me are the IMAP mailboxes? Are you also saying that I can
MOVE messages into these mailboxes and they (the messages) will no
longer appear in any main inbox area? And I can do that by using the
move command, AND by filtering?

What I’m trying to do is MOSTLY keep anything that’s a receipt for
stuff I’ve purchased online in one place, and a couple of other
categories of emails, both stuff I’ve sent and stuff I’ve received
(to & from certain people). These are the messages I don’t want to
lose, so I would really prefer if I could sorta tuck them away in the
corner where I won’t stumble on them accidentally some night and
delete something by mistake.

And then all the little purple folders are the smart mailboxes - I
figured that part out, seeing as how it’s what appears when you tell
it to make a new smart mailbox. ;-)

And the smart mailboxes don’t really STORE anything? They just sort.
Anything in a smart mailbox will also show up in whatever inbox
they’re associated with under sources, right? So I’m better off not
putting the stuff I want to keep, like ‘thank you for your order’
emails from vendors, in a smart mailbox, I should ONLY direct these to
an IMAP mailbox down at the bottom under sources?

                                  Jo

Bad command or file name. You have 2 wishes left.