[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 18:09:02 EST 2020

On 28 Jan 2020, at 13:25, Jo wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2020, at 5:11, Eric Sharakan wrote:
>
>> Create an Inbox rule that moves emails to one specific, pre-existing
>> IMAP mailbox. Then setup another "rule" attached to that mailbox with
>> no actual rules, but the settings to creates virtual submailboxes
>> based on the sender's name. This way, you get the sorting by sender's
>> name and the moving of the messages out of your inbox.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> It almost makes sense. The problem I’m having is wrapping my head
> around IMAP in general, I think. I have been almost exclusively using
> POP for so many years now.
>
> So is a ‘pre-existing IMAP mailbox’ one that is for a specific
> email address?

I would say more accurately it's for a specific email account/provider.
Like you, I have a half dozen email addresses, with a separate IMAP
account for each one.  So think of a ‘pre-existing IMAP mailbox’ as
a folder attached to one of these accounts.  You can use a pre-existing
one, like 'Archive', which seems to be a common convention, or you can
create your own.

> Is it in the Sources area?

Yes, they are in the Sources area. MM makes special provisions for some,
most notably "Archive", so they are also visible elsewhere in the
sidebar.

> There are so MANY mailboxes here it’s very confusing. Of course I
> have a half dozen email addresses in play, so it’s my own fault.

I know that pain!

-Eric