[MlMt] newbie question about folders

Ken Pope ken at kenpope.com
Tue Jan 28 11:43:11 EST 2020

On 27 Jan 2020, at 15:16, Jo wrote:

> Just switched over to MailMate from PowerMail. I’ve been hanging
> onto PM for a very long time, but it seems it’s not gonna work with
> the next OS upgrade, so here I am.

<snip>

> > Also, what if I just want to save some emails by physically moving
> them into a folder? I’m guessing that’s something with
> ‘archives’ but I can’t seem to figure out how to make this
> happen. What I’d like it not to accidentally delete them when I am
> in the basic ‘inbox’ somewhere. In PM, if I put something in a
> folder, that’s the only place it was. Here it seems to be a
> ‘copy.’ OK, I know it’s not a copy, more like an alias, I guess?
> But whatever, I don’t want to see it elsewhere, because I might
> accidentally hit delete. Does that make sense?

I’m a fellow PowerMail-user-since-forever who recently moved to
MailMate when PM no longer worked w/ my OS upgrade.  Here are the steps
I take to create that kind of folder: First, in the vertical list
labeled “Mailboxes” along the left margin of MailMate, I scroll down
to the label “Sources.” Immediately under “Sources” is my email
address, which I highlight. Then I click on the “gear” at the
bottom, and the menu it shows includes “New IMAP Mailbox in [my email
address]”.

I click that option which (unsurprisingly) creates a new IMAP Mailbox
under my email address above.  I type in a name for that mailbox.  Then
I can drag any emails from my inbox into that mailbox.  The message no
longer appears in my inbox—it appears only in that new IMAP mailbox.
I’ve created quite a few of those IMAP mailboxes so I can keep
important messages, find them easily, and not worry about accidentally
erasing them.

Hope that helps. Am guessing those who’ve used MM longer will be able
to tell you simpler, quicker, or better ways to do what you want to do.

Ken